Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Loving the experience


Well, it's currently 3rd week here in Oxford. I'm fencing in the Oxford University Fencing Club, and there's some very good fencers there to be sure. I also attended the Oxford Inter Collegiate Christian Union (OICCU) meeting tonight. It was a real blessing to sing, pray and fellowship with believers in Britain. I see the U.K. as being several years ahead of the U.S. in terms of the increased hold that secularism has on the U.K. There's actually hope in the U.S. of overturning abortion. It's difficult to see that here in the U.K., and yet these believers press on. We may not hear much about it in the U.S., but God is doing great things here in Oxford with the believers. There are believers who are high ranked in the University and the OICCU is a very strong group similar to Campus Crusade or Navigators. 

I spend much of my time in the Bodleian library. The Bod is actually several buildings. Nik and I who are studying Philosophy and Literature are usually in the Radcliffe Camera. If I'm not there, then I'm usually spending time in my college library.I'm also having a great time in my college. I've made some new friends here. Matthew Ball is a fresher studying science of humanities at New College. He and I enjoy talking worldviews over lunch. I also have a friend from St. Ebbe's named Claire Greig who's vice-president of OICCU and is studying classics at Magdalen College (the same college where C. S. Lewis taught classics). And I'm making other friends at fencing.

The Summit Oxford group (finally pictured) is still meeting together on Fridays usually. We will have dinner at the Bywaters, perhaps have a conference call with an author, share recent discoveries and discuss hard issues. Last Friday we tackled the question of what God asks for us in our faith as far as certainty and living it out.

Kevin takes us out individually for lunch/coffee once every two weeks. I told him then, and I'll say it here. Aside from deciding to pursue higher education in the first place, Summit Oxford is the most important educational decision I've ever made.

Summit Oxford - Michaelmas Term 2008
Summit Oxford - Michaelmas Term 2008

No comments: