I love my job. I'm on the night watch at Summit, hence my early morning entry. I stay up all night patrolling the grounds every now and then as well as other nightly duties. I sleep during the morning and miss the morning lectures, but so do staff doing morning kitchen, domestics, or maintenance. Basically, all my work time is during time when students are asleep, and my sleep time is when they're in class. Thus, I have all afternoon and evening to hang out with them.
I'm having a great time getting to know students. Today had some great discussions on the porch with another staffer and a few students. The discussion centered on determinism from a materialistic worldview and whether we have free will. I had another discussion with a student later where he was asking about multiverse theory and Richard Dawkins' arguments on the probability of this world coming about with such fine tuning.
We also had Dr. Francis Beckwith in today who spoke on bioethics, law in America and state-neutrality. The man has an MA in law and a Ph.D in philosophy. Gotta love the mix of legal and philo-talk. Margaret really appreciated him, and I think he was her favorite speaker so far. We had a very fun open forum today; many students asked good questions concerning God's will, abortion, and (for the first time in three years, Beckwith said) his Roman Catholicism. He handled the question very well, eventually telling the student that he can read his book, "Return to Rome." One of the funniest moments was when the student asked "What must I do to be saved?" Beckwith responded, "Nothing. You don't do anything for your salvation." That threw the kid for a loop.
Afterward, I got to spend about half an hour chatting with Dr. Beckwith and Chuck Edwards on the porch. It was really neat, just chatting with these two men about the world and various doctrines. It was truly great fun, and I appreciated the casual setting.
At around 9:30 pm, some of the staff and I went on a night hike up Red Mountain and then ran back; it was a blast. The staff here are well chosen. I know it sounds vane to say, but I truly mean it. This is especially true of the higher administrational staff like Jen, Judson and Dustin. They all do a great job here, and it's an honour having them as coworkers.
I love this job. The fun discussion reminds me of the time in Summit Oxford. True, it's not the same since Nik, Kevin and Daniel aren't here to take the philosophical discussions into really rough territory, but it's still great.
Well, it's about time for me to go. A bit more duty calls, and then sleep.
I'm having a great time getting to know students. Today had some great discussions on the porch with another staffer and a few students. The discussion centered on determinism from a materialistic worldview and whether we have free will. I had another discussion with a student later where he was asking about multiverse theory and Richard Dawkins' arguments on the probability of this world coming about with such fine tuning.
We also had Dr. Francis Beckwith in today who spoke on bioethics, law in America and state-neutrality. The man has an MA in law and a Ph.D in philosophy. Gotta love the mix of legal and philo-talk. Margaret really appreciated him, and I think he was her favorite speaker so far. We had a very fun open forum today; many students asked good questions concerning God's will, abortion, and (for the first time in three years, Beckwith said) his Roman Catholicism. He handled the question very well, eventually telling the student that he can read his book, "Return to Rome." One of the funniest moments was when the student asked "What must I do to be saved?" Beckwith responded, "Nothing. You don't do anything for your salvation." That threw the kid for a loop.
Afterward, I got to spend about half an hour chatting with Dr. Beckwith and Chuck Edwards on the porch. It was really neat, just chatting with these two men about the world and various doctrines. It was truly great fun, and I appreciated the casual setting.
At around 9:30 pm, some of the staff and I went on a night hike up Red Mountain and then ran back; it was a blast. The staff here are well chosen. I know it sounds vane to say, but I truly mean it. This is especially true of the higher administrational staff like Jen, Judson and Dustin. They all do a great job here, and it's an honour having them as coworkers.
I love this job. The fun discussion reminds me of the time in Summit Oxford. True, it's not the same since Nik, Kevin and Daniel aren't here to take the philosophical discussions into really rough territory, but it's still great.
Well, it's about time for me to go. A bit more duty calls, and then sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment