Monday, June 1, 2009

George Tiller enters eternity

Yesterday afternoon, my father sent me a text message: "Sadly, Dr. Tiller was murdered today in church." I cannot imagine how this will spawn more debate and possibly legislation over the coming months and years, but the whole situation makes me want to sit back and ponder. Here was a man who I firmly believe committed infanticide. To call it anything less, I feel, would be to mince my words in the face of murder. Yet I often prayed that he would be found guilty of crimes in a court of law and that he would face justice in the eyes of the nation, never that he would be a victim of murder himself. Perhaps he might have one day repented of his sins before facing his creator.

The tragically ironic thing here is that George Tiller was a victim of his own philosophy. Dr. Tiller believed it was his choice to abort countless pregnancies. The man who shot him yesterday believed it was his choice to walk up to Tiller and murder him. Both men fell prey to the deceitful philosophy that we as individuals can decide when to take a life. George Tiller may have felt that he wasn't taking any human lives; in fact, that's more than probable. But he felt his actions were justified. The man who shot him also felt that his actions were justified, for whatever reason. In both cases, human desire and choice prevailed, not justice and righteousness.

I mourn Tiller's death. But even more, I mourn the innocents who have been killed throughout the entirety of this culture war. Colossians 2:8 warns us to not be taken captive by deceitful philosophy. Unfortunately, both men (who seemed to be on opposite sides) fell prey to the same mentality of death. Let us not also fall for these dangerous ideas but rather follow 2 Corinthians 10:5, "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ".

No comments: