By now, I have been back in Kansas for over a month after my semester in Oxford. As one might expect there have been little bits of culture shock. I almost made a turn into the left lane a couple times. A stranger smiled and said "Good morning" on the street one day, and I wasn't sure how to respond (since that never happens in England). But these aren't what I reflect on the most now that I'm back. The different perspectives I was made aware of cause the most contemplation, and these bring me to think about how I can implement them into my studies here.
One of the things I came to treasure while in Oxford was good conversation. Philippians 4:8 challenges me greatly whenever I consider it. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." I'm not entirely sure about the full ramifications of this verse concerning a Christian's daily decisions (not to mention entertainment choices), but I do think it certainly should challenge us on our conversation. The fact that we have "Bradjolina" as a word in English conversation says a great deal about our culture. I often ask myself what I find myself thinking about in my spare time. What do I spend my time talking about with my friends? Do we build up? Do we edify? Are we thinking about things of excellence? Do we talk about things that matter, or do we talk about things that needn't be discussed (like the latest gossip about so and so friend or even celebrity)? I confess I must often answer no to this question.
In Oxford my friends and I would discuss subjects that really mattered to our lives. We would talk about the role of faith in our Christian walks. We would talk about how we judge between what is harmful and edifying in art. Every day we learned something new from someone else. Were all of our conversations lofty and serious? Not at all. We frequently would talk about light-hearted subjects as well, but they too were useful. They encouraged. They built up.
This is one of the grand experiences I miss from Oxford, and it is also one that I am intent sharing with my friends back home so that I shall not again grow content with discussing the mediocre things of life. It's too short is why.
One of the things I came to treasure while in Oxford was good conversation. Philippians 4:8 challenges me greatly whenever I consider it. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." I'm not entirely sure about the full ramifications of this verse concerning a Christian's daily decisions (not to mention entertainment choices), but I do think it certainly should challenge us on our conversation. The fact that we have "Bradjolina" as a word in English conversation says a great deal about our culture. I often ask myself what I find myself thinking about in my spare time. What do I spend my time talking about with my friends? Do we build up? Do we edify? Are we thinking about things of excellence? Do we talk about things that matter, or do we talk about things that needn't be discussed (like the latest gossip about so and so friend or even celebrity)? I confess I must often answer no to this question.
In Oxford my friends and I would discuss subjects that really mattered to our lives. We would talk about the role of faith in our Christian walks. We would talk about how we judge between what is harmful and edifying in art. Every day we learned something new from someone else. Were all of our conversations lofty and serious? Not at all. We frequently would talk about light-hearted subjects as well, but they too were useful. They encouraged. They built up.
This is one of the grand experiences I miss from Oxford, and it is also one that I am intent sharing with my friends back home so that I shall not again grow content with discussing the mediocre things of life. It's too short is why.
No comments:
Post a Comment